It should come as no surprise that sports turned out to be the biggest draw of 2017 for Sling TV. It is a long-running belief that sports is currently both adding to the cost of cable TV while at the same time propping up its existence. The biggest sporting events of 2017 did show one very surprising result. While the number one rated event on Sling TV was the 2017 College Football Playoff final, the top 10 also included Cricket. Who knew? It got a major share of sports fans in Washington DC and New Jersy. One can only assume that this is due to a community demographics.
Sling TV provided a helpful map to show what took the county by storm and where. There are some fun insights on the map that almost drive home stereotypes. Like for instance throughout the South East College football reigned supreme, all but for North Carolina. For those that live here its easy to understand as there has never been a college football program of any great long-term significance here while between Duke and UNC there have been nearly a decade’s worth of championship games in the 2000s alone. Also not surprising is that Baseball proved to be most popular in the home of the Yankees NY, as well as the home of the LA Dodgers and Angels.
Top 10 Sports Events On Sling TV in 2017
- College Football – #2 Clemson v. #1 Alabama (CFP National Championship) (1/9)
- NFL – Dallas Cowboys v. Arizona Cardinals (9/25)
- College Basketball – NCAA Basketball Tournament: Second round (3/19)
- NBA – NBA Playoff: Game 4: Celtics v. Cavaliers (5/23)
- MLB – Game 4: Dodgers v. Cubs (10/18)
- Cricket – 2017 ICC Champions Trophy: Final: Pakistan v. India (6/18)
- Boxing – Artur Beterbiev v. Enrico Koelling (11/11) (does not include PPV)
- Tennis – 2017 US Open – Women’s Championship (9/9)
- NHL – Stanley Cup Playoff: Game 2: Predators v. Penguins (5/31)
- Action Sports – X Games Aspen: Ski Big Air Women’s Final, Snowboard SuperPipe Women’s Final, Ski Big Air Men’s Final (1/28)