Roku announced a new update on its budget “Express” model using the same form factor as its multiple predecessors. The latest model, the Roku Express 4K with Voice Remote Pro will be available on October 4th and ship for $49.99 in the U.S exclusively through Amazon.
The Amazon exclusive follows a pattern Roku has used for the last few product cycles where retailers like Walmart and Best Buy had exclusive purview over specific versions of specific models.
One of the biggest upgrades customers will see with the new model is the voice remote pro. The remote allows users to toggle on a reactive mode that responds to voice commands that wake up to “Hey Roku” without requiring the user to press any buttons. In order to use the feature users will have to flip a switch on the side of the remote. Helpful built-in remote features include being able to ask the Roku to find a lost remote “Where is my remote”, select apps or programming and turn the TV off provided that the device has been synced to the television.
Like all modern Roku streamers and TVs the Roku Express 4K is easy to setup and features a customizable Home Screen. The device provides a seamless streaming experience for both HD and 4K content. More recent features include the ability to jump back into the content you love via a “Continue Watching” ribbon, a “Sports” section to discover your favorite teams in one place, and the ability to mark favorite TV shows and movies with “Save List” and more.
Products highlights include:
- Brilliant picture quality: Optimized with stunning detail and clarity with sharp resolution and vivid color in HD, 4K, HDR, HDR10 and HDR10+.
- Voice remote with TV controls: Use one remote to power on the TV, adjust the volume, mute and use Roku Voice to launch channels, search for content and control the streaming experience.
- Ecosystem compatibility: Control Roku Express 4K by using voice with Alexa or Google Assistant enabled devices. With Apple AirPlay 2, effortlessly stream, control and share content directly from iPhone, iPad or Mac. Roku Express 4K also supports HomeKit, which allows users to easily and securely control Roku devices using Siri or the Home app on their Apple devices.
- Jump back in: Continue Watching, located within the What to Watch home screen navigation, empowers users to resume content from different channels on any Roku device linked to their account with speed and convenience.
- Game day your way: Head to Sports in the Home Screen Menu to locate your favorite sports, leagues, and teams to see all live and upcoming games in one convenient place. The all-new NFL Zone offers football fans a centralized location to watch games all season long.
- Your photos. Their photos. On your TV: Turn your TV into a shared digital photo frame with Roku Photo Streams. Simply upload photos to view your biggest memories on the biggest screen in the house.
- Free and FAST content: The Roku Channel is a leader in Free Ad-Supported TV (FAST) with easy content discovery, popular network shows, and genre/category offerings. Also, stream 400+ channels through TRC’s Live TV Guide.
- Save it now, stream it later: Conveniently keep track of all the movies and shows you’re interested in across select platforms and add to your Save List where they’ll show up automatically in What to Watch.
The Roku Voice Remote Pro was designed to be an incredible upgrade for Roku device users. It offers a rechargeable battery and hands-free voice for easy actions such as “Hey Roku, find my remote.” The Roku Voice Remote is compatible with all Roku TV models, audio devices, and streaming players. It also features:
- Hands-free: Forget about reaching for the remote. Just say “Hey Roku” and a command to turn the TV on, adjust the volume, control playback, and more without lifting a finger.
- Rechargeable battery: Keep the remote powered for months on a single charge. It works with any standard USB charger.
- Lost remote finder: Say “Hey Roku, where’s my remote?” or use the free Roku mobile app (available for iOS and Android) and listen for a little chime to locate everyone’s favorite TV companion.
- Personal shortcuts: Save favorite voice commands for one-touch control (press and hold after giving a voice command to save).
- Private listening: Don’t wake the house, just plug headphones (sold separately) into the headphone jack and the TV will mute automatically. With Bluetooth Private Listening, pair your headphones directly to the Roku Mobile App stream with ease.